Acupuncture has maybe become my latest guilty pleasure. Can you imagine? The idea that someone inserting small sterile needles all over your body is something you look forward to?  Well, let me tell you, I do!

Due to unplanned circumstances, I was unable to attend my weekly appointment for two weeks in a row.  By the third week, I was a mess.

Let me go back in time.  Two years ago I started seeing my acupuncturist for chronic lower back pain.  Articles I had read stated that acupuncture could help.  I had a solid recommendation from a coworker and my insurance covered the cost so I thought I would try it.

I met Dr. S at a yoga studio and was kindly welcomed into a small room down the hall.  I laid face up on the massage table and she asked me questions about what my issues were.  Even though my main concerns were lower back pain, she started with needles on my legs and wrists.  Of course I was a little nervous about anyone sticking needles into me so she started the first session with just a few pressure points.  The needles are so thin that you barely feel anything and wonder to yourself how this can possibly work.

After about 20 minutes, I turned over for treatment on my back.  The first session went well and I decided I would come back. I felt a little better after the first visit, but by day 5 I was really achy again.  Sometimes when people start it is a good idea to go two times per week.  After several weeks, I did notice a significant change but could also tell when 5 days had passed.

476658248

My 51 year old husband unexpectedly died 8 months after I had started treatments.  Once I stumbled through the first month after his passing, I started back to acupuncture but this time for a completely different reason.  The stress, anxiety and depression in my life could be treated with acupuncture as well as the previous physical pain.

The negative side effects are limited unless you are on blood thinner medication.  Occasionally, one needle insertion will produce a few drops of blood or possibly a bruise.  It does not happen often. The only other effect that I have had is feeling completely relaxed and drowsy when I leave the studio, like I just woke up.

Dr. S would ask each week how I was doing, and place needles accordingly.  This traditional Chinese medicine is based on the philosophy that describes the universe and body in terms of two opposing forces, yin and yang.  Therapy can release blocked Qi ( great words with friends word to know!) by stimulating the body’s many systems. Acupuncture can help with insomnia, digestive issues, physical pain, migraines, anxiety, depression and infertility.

According to a study at my husband Mike’s alma mater, UCSD, in 1997 the U.S. publicized acupuncture’s safety and efficacy for treating a wide range of conditions.  Acupuncture is now covered by many insurance policies and is used mainly to relieve pain.

The goal of acupuncture therapy is to promote and restore the balance of energy that flows through the body.  To become an acupuncturist in the United States, most practitioners have a masters degree and a license to practice in the state. They are well educated in the field of ancient Chinese medical practices and in the huge array of acupuncture points in the human body.

For more information I purchased the reference book “Healing with Whole Foods – Oriental Traditions and Modern Nutrition” by Paul Pitchford.  I am still in the learning process but this was recommended to me so I am moving forward and educating myself as well. You can order the book through Amazon by clicking on the affiliate link photo below,

Have you tried acupuncture? What are your thoughts?

Advertisements

Comments

30 comments on “Acupuncture – Healing for physical pain to depression to infertility. Worth a try?”
  1. I haven’t tried acupuncture, but it is something I’m thinking about. I’m wondering if it would help my depression and anxiety.

1. runawaywidow says:

It has definitely helped me and I really noticed when I had not been there for 3 weeks. It’s worth a try.

2. Alexis Rose says:

I have been going to an acupuncturist once a week for many years. I’m convinced that is what has kept me off medication as I cope with my PTSD.

1. runawaywidow says:

So glad to hear it is working for you!

Liked by 1 person

3. Couldn’t agree more! I’ve used acupuncture to heal past injuries and it’s great!

1. runawaywidow says:

That’s great – thanks for reading.

4. heybeccablog says:

I was skeptical of acupuncture until one week I had such bad back pain I was so desperate for it to go away and the chiro wasn’t helping as fast as I’d like I decided to try acupuncture. I walked in the office barely able to stand up straight from the pain and walked out feeling 95% better right away! I am a big believer now!

That is great to hear!!

5. Kaylee Marie says:

Yes, to acupuncture! I’ve heard nothing but amazing results from people! So glad it is something you could come back to and get relief from. It is still something I’d like to try some day soon!

1. runawaywidow says:

It has been so helpful to me. Thanks for reading!

6. Gelli says:

Acupunture has always peaked my interest. As a nurse, I know the benefits of this, although it’s not widely practiced and the risk for infection is present. I’d give it a try though. I just don’t know where to find a trusted acupuncturist in my area.

ohmygelli.com

1. runawaywidow says:

That is so true to find someone who is recommended. If insurance covers the person they should be licensed and qualified.

7. realmofvibes says:

I love accupuncture. I used to go when I was in college and have contemplated going back for my issues. Thank you for this post.

1. runawaywidow says:

I don’t think I’ll stop if I can fit it into my schedule.

8. projectlifewellness says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE acupuncture! I get it along with cupping 3-4 times a month and i highly recommend it! It helps to put me in a calm, clear state of mind!

1. runawaywidow says:

It helps me so much with emotional balance as well. I tried cupping but I didn’t really like it.

9. I’ve been meaning to try acupuncture forever. I get nasty headaches and apparently it can greatly relieve them. I’m glad it’s helping you!

1. runawaywidow says:

I’ve heard it can be really good for headaches so worth a try.

10. cedar51 says:

I’ve never tried it but it does look like it’s something I could if need be…

1. runawaywidow says:

It is surprisingly relaxing.

11. I have tried it and it really helped me with a variety of issues I had. Now I’m doing much better and I feel like I don’t need it anymore 🙂

1. runawaywidow says:

I’m so glad to hear it helped you.

Liked by 1 person

12. I have heard about acupuncture previously but never thought about giving a shot. Thanks to your post, I think I will now. Also, I’m glad you found something that helps your relieve your anxiety, stress, and pain. Have a wonderful day.

1. runawaywidow says:

Thanks for reading – I hope if you try it you find it helpful!

13. have heard about acupuncture previously but never thought about giving a shot. Thanks to your post, I think I will now. Also, I’m glad you found something that helps your relieve your anxiety, stress, and pain. Have a wonderful day.

14. generationtrygirl says:

One the reasons I truly enjoy reading your blog is how much of a do-er and try-er you are. Clearly you are and have been in great pain, but you actually do something about it. You seek guidance, try different methods of healing, and have the bravery to share your experience with others. And though I haven’t experienced this kind of terrible experience in my life, reading your blog inspires me to take the journey of exploring self-healing with you. Thank you for this. Maybe I’ll try acupuncture one of these days too ❤

1. runawaywidow says:

Thank you so much for your kind words. Acupuncture is worth a try and helpful for so many things.

15. ThePittStops says:

Hello! I really enjoy your blog, and have nominated you for a blog award! You can read about it here: https://thepittstops.wordpress.com/2017/04/07/blogger-recognition-award/

Thank you so much!