Centerport Harbor in Winter

I survived the Bomb Cyclone!

I thought Thunder Snow was a scary term but we really had to brace ourselves for this one!

The past few winters we have had major winter storms with heavy winds.  I bought a generator after Hurricane Sandy but it sits in my garage gathering dust and would not do much if the power went out during the winter.  That is one of those things that a husband is supposed to take care of, but since I am now a widow, I should do something about that.

My back up plan if the power goes out is to go next door with a bottle of wine.  My neighbor has a working fireplace so it’s good to have a plan.

The wind was strong yesterday and lasted for hours.  I went out for an early morning walk today.  It is 11 degrees outside but with wind chill factor it is real feel negative 10-20 degrees.  It is frigid!

But it is also beautiful.  Crazy wind and birds in the storm videos.  Sunshine snow photos to follow.  A few puppy pics as well.  Enjoy…

7F2022F7-3290-481D-9058-69ED072F6CB1
Harry telling me he can’t get outside
5123D7D8-7F1F-4F51-A51B-70EED5A63640
Patio furniture after the storm. Umbrella came into the house.
63A7605A-08EC-435D-92D0-86140E6EFB44
Morning after the bomb cyclone. Garbage cans blown down!
Centerport Harbor in Winter
Centerport Harbor is frozen
84765BF7-ED57-46E3-992D-6173FE856222
The strong winds blew the 12 inches of snow off the sand.
CE21E882-5F64-4F64-93DE-92A12A3F1DFF
Snow plow has been here
0773E32F-3B8B-4636-9192-56FC3339D26A
Harry didn’t last long outside
Beach in Winter
Interesting patterns in the wind blown snow
Beach in Winter, Centerport New York
Two boats did not make it to sure before the deep freeze.

2927C1E1-E4F8-462F-AD12-90CC9CF689D6

E134355E-7DF0-439A-9697-5F630F6B7922
Wind blown kayaks
IMG_0186
Harry made his own bomb cyclone with his new toys

I am working with Amazon Affiliates.  Click on the below images to link to Amazon.com.  I may get a commission.  Thanks for visiting my site.  Stay warm.

snow pants

face mask

ski gloves

Advertisements

Comments

25 comments on “I survived the Bomb Cyclone!”
  1. Jeanne says:

Beautiful patterns in the wind-blown snow… frigid for sure! ❄️🕊

1. runawaywidow says:

Thanks for your comment – I know the snow looks so pretty today.

2. Audrey says:

The snow looks pretty from inside the house… I give you a lot of credit for getting out there…

1. runawaywidow says:

It was really cold. I didn’t stay out very long.

3. cedar51 says:

it looks pretty for sure, but where I live in the Southern Hemisphere in my part of my country we don’t do “snow” – rather we often do Pacific tropical storms or tail-end of cyclones (hurricanes) we had just experienced that in the last few days – summer has taken a nose dive for sure.

1. runawaywidow says:

I hope you are enjoying some sunshine down under – missing the warm temperatures!!

1. cedar51 says:

sunshine returned in full bloom on yesterday, so the other problem that occurred when the weather went “belly up” namely began the ditch digging on the property on the wet, wet day – lots of mud everywhere, is not much drier. Still at the drain overhaull, but looks like maybe today they will fill in the ditch – I think waiting for council approval on new layout…- then when that is done – clearing the whole long driveway to put in a new concrete dtriveway pad…hope it is done soon, as my peace/quiet sorely tested.

2. runawaywidow says:

I hope they are able to complete the work quickly so that you can get some peace and quiet again, and a safe driveway.

4. Joyce says:

should count myself lucky, as lovely as it may seem in the video, I’d rather be in Greece.

1. runawaywidow says:

Wow – are you in Greece!? I have always wanted to visit Greece. Thanks for visiting my site!

5. HappyFamily says:

wow it was in the 40s and we were freezing. I cannot even imagine.

Cristy

1. runawaywidow says:

It is all relative I guess. We are usually cold this time of year, but this is unusually frigid. Thanks for visiting my site.

6. Natalie K. says:

Wow, what a wind! I would certainly be panicking a little bit, but it seems you handled it pretty well. I love the after-storm photos, the snow is indeed beautiful. xx

1. runawaywidow says:

Thanks for your comment. It was a very windy storm followed by frigid temperatures for a couple of days. Hoping it warms up this week.

7. I would certainly be panicking a little bit, but it seems you handled it pretty well. Love all your photos!

1. runawaywidow says:

Thanks for reading and your kind comments. So fun to take photos of fresh snow.

8. Saurav says:

Liked the pics. It is always nice and pleasing to see a bright sunshine in these chilly conditions.☺️

1. runawaywidow says:

Thanks. I love going outside and seeing how the light is on the snow.

9. r0ky24 says:

Looks cold, but cool at the same time. Don’t know the last time we had so much snow… Or significent amount of snow atleast…

1. runawaywidow says:

It was really cold right after that storm. The water is frozen in the harbor which doesn’t happen very often. Supposed to go up to 50 this weekend though. Thanks for reading.

10. Where's My Other Sock? says:

I love your take on the storm! Our generator, the pretty red one, sits in the garage as well! Beautiful photos and glad Harry got into the spirit of things. I too need a plan for the next big outtage. 🙂

1. runawaywidow says:

It gets so windy during these storms I fear the power going out in the winter

11. bestylechic says:

wow loved ur blog….

following you now do follow back plz

1. runawaywidow says: