Is it “widow brain” or lack of caffeine?

Widow brain is a real syndrome where you are forgetful, inattentive and spacey. You may put the milk in the cupboard, lose the keys or put on mismatched socks without realizing it.

This past week I have been so tired. I yawned a few times after lunch and 4 out of 5 afternoons I came home and napped after work.

I mistook an 11:30 flight arrival for am when it was actually pm and I had apparently been told this on several occasions.

The solar powered water feature I ordered for the backyard arrived, the 3 pictures that offered directions for assembly proved far too difficult, so the pieces lay on a table near the back door.

I thought it could be my thyroid. I was diagnosed recently with an under active thyroid and figured it may be super under active now.

I bargained that if I could do a bit more exercise it would help me motivate, but I was too tired.

Saturday morning it was brought to my attention that I only had one can of coffee in the house, and it was DECAF.

“No way!” I exclaimed.

I had purchased the blue can last week, not the green can. The green ones are decaf! Apparently, I did not bother to put on my reading glasses in the store to read the fine print.

Off we ran to Dunkin Donuts for my first cup of real coffee in over a week.

I’m hoping my brain is back to normal soon. Being present is my goal for this week.

And maybe I should wear glasses when I grocery shop. Just saying.

Advertisements

Comments

16 comments on “Is it “widow brain” or lack of caffeine?”
  1. Kelly MacKay says:

It is sad to think our energy comes from a cup. Hope this coming week is more productive for you

1. runawaywidow says:

Thanks. It would probably be a good idea to take a break from coffee but not just yet. Thanks for reading.

2. cedar51 says:

no it’s your body, telling you to just slow down, don’t sweat the small stuff…think something like seasonal change as well as you flit into summer (whereas I in the southern hemisphere am going to winter)

1. runawaywidow says:

That’s great insight. I think slowing down is always in order in today’s world. Thanks for the comment.

3. Patricia G. says:

I’ve had those kind of days too, and I am only in my mid thirties! I think you may be stressed. I agree with someone’s comment on here that it is best to slow down if you can. You will feel much better!

4. Sandra negron says:

You are not alone on this, I’m the same way. I can be very forgetfulas well at super sleepy. Hang in there, it’ll get better.

1. runawaywidow says:

Thanks Sandra. Feeling better already this week.

5. I feel tired a lot of the time too! I heard it can be a deficiency in vitamins or nutrients.

1. runawaywidow says:

I didn’t think of that. I’m going to try to take vitamins this week. I always forget!

6. Sounds like a good signal to take a break, but that can be easier said than done. I think ome weeks are just more tiring than others! If I really want to have a productive day I have to drink coffee in the morning 🙂

1. runawaywidow says:

Yes. This week was better than last. So true

7. Christina Pilat says:

Honestly I just feel like your brain gets over worked whether it be with emotions or just trying to get into the swing of life, I can totally see how you’d be spacey or out of it a little bit.

1. runawaywidow says:

True. Then it’s time to realize it, take a step back and regroup.

8. So glad to see someone address this! Great post.

1. runawaywidow says:

Thanks. It can be a very confusing time for everyone.